Rabies, Bites, Pet Licensing, & Shelters 

Click here for upcoming NWBRHC Rabies Clinics

Bergen County Animal Shelter is resuming FREE rabies clinics every other Thursday.


Clinics are by appointment only and will vaccinate dogs only.


Please call (201) 229-4618 to leave your name and number; someone will call you back to schedule an appointment. Reminder, the voicemail you leave is NOT the appointment, the return phone call to schedule it is.

Animal Bites & Rabies Control

  • Animal bite reports are received from residents, police departments, doctor’s offices and hospitals

  • NWBRHC confirms animal licensing with Borough (licensing requires proof of Rabies vaccination). 

  • The animal’s owner is sent a Notice of Bite and Confinement to inform them to quarantine the animal for 10 days and observe for any evidence of Rabies.  If the animal has acquired rabies, symptoms will appear within 10 days

    • After the 10 days, NWBRHC contacts the owner to determine the health status of the quarantined animal

    • If healthy, the file is closed. If showing evidence of rabies, the owner must contact Animal Control immediately

Call the Police for:

  •   Sick, injured or dangerous animals

  •   Stray domestic animals

Call Tyco Animal Control at 201 652-4554 for:


  • Dead animals on public property

  • Dead animals on private property (removal fee)

  • Nuisance Wildlife (removal fee)

  • Leash law, licensing and pooper scooper violations

  • Report of a lost pet

Tyco Animal Control services the following NWBRHC Towns:

  • Emerson

  • Hillsdale

  • Ho-Ho-Kus

  • Mahwah

  • Midland Park

  • Montvale

  • Saddle River

  • Waldwick

  • Washington Township

For other towns, please contact:

Pet Licensing

Contact the Municipal Clerk for pet licensing information.

Animal Control Services & Animal Shelter Operations

Kennels, pet shops, animal shelters and pounds must be inspected at least annually by the local health department and found in compliance with all applicable laws, regulations and ordinances before municipalities can license their operation. The regulations for the sanitary operation of kennels, pet shops, animal shelters and pounds address specific requirements that must be met in order for a satisfactory rating to be issued for the facility.

Animal rescue groups are not regulated by the State or local health departments unless they operate an animal shelter facility. Rescue facilities shall comply with the provisions of the animal cruelty statutes.


20 West Prospect Street,

Waldwick, NJ 07463

Tel: 201-445-7217


Fax: 201-445-4001